Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table safety

Lew Hodgett wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Either way, make sure you get the momentary switch, otherwise any
safety aspect is negated. I use one of those foot switches with my
router and like knowing that it will shut off if my foot moves.

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I would not use the momentary switch. That forces you to remain in
what can become an awkward position, in order to keep your foot on
the switch. I disagree that any safety aspect is negated - in fact
as I said - it could be argued that momentary can create its own
unsafe environment.

You are entitled to your misguided opinion but you would be WRONG.

Really?

A foot switch provides the same function as an "Emergency Stop"
momentary contact push button.

If you move your foot, you remove power, the router comes to a stop.

All is well IF you remain in fixed position until router comes to a
stop.

If you want to use a maintained contact foot switch as a matter of
convenience, so be it, but it is no longer providing a safety
function.

I disagree. The switch provides the ability to turn the router on and off
without looking under the table to hit the router switch, and also allows
you to keep a secure hold on the workpiece from start to finish. That is
indeed a safety function.

Personally, I prefer a maintained contact switch mounted on the front
of the router table, functioning the same way a table saw switch
functions.

So, that completely contradicts what you just said above. I'm not sure
which side of this discussion you're really coming down on Lew.

I used a momentary contact foot switch in the boat yard to pump resin
and
another to control the resin mixer.

I use momentary contact switches for a lot of things, but those aren't part
of this discussion.

--

-Mike-