Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Uh Oh, metal related. Gluing glass to metal?

"Artemus" wrote in message

wrote in message
So I have this wild idea to make the rear window on my Scion xB
openable. It is of course made from tempered glass and so making
holes
in it won't work. I am pretty sure I have seen handles glued to
windows on cars but I'm not sure. The rear window is now just glued
the rear hatch. I'm thinking that if it was removed a gasket could
be
installed, and hinges, gas springs, and a latch installed. So can
this
be done? Anyone here done this? I'm pretty sure that making the
hinge
assembly, latches, and handle won't present any real challenges.
After
all, I do have a complete mahine shop and I am a machinist.
Eric

Think about the other end. Windshields are glued in with a silicone
adhesive and the rear view mirrors are glued to the glass too.
Art

The latch, wiper, struts, brake light and hinges on my Honda's glass
upper hatch are attached with thru-hole fittings. The heater grid
contacts are bonded to the glass.

I can't reach in very far with only the upper glass open and usually
have to open the lower swinging door to reach anything that braking
has moved forward against the seat backs, or load groceries where they
won't tumble. You could tape some rope across the opening at sill
height to see how much useful access you would have.

This is the hatch arrangement. The folding table is the floor of the
rear compartment. I covered mine with plywood to support the weight of
machinery.
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/230/52...07c819cf_z.jpg
Later models made the glass part of the door, which is probably
better.

I installed the optional child restraint seat fittings in the roof
just in front of the hatch hinge and have used them to hold up a net
when I had a lot of loose gear piled in back, so it wouldn't spill out
when I opened the lower door. I would have added tie-downs on the
floor if it hadn't come with them.

The mirror glued to my truck's replacement windshield fell off when I
tried to adjust it, on the way to the state inspection. The outside
mirrors were enough to pass.

jsw