Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Finish Sprayer Gun Problem

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:42:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Unlike Mike, I am not so fussy. I usually just fill the paint pot up with cold water and ice cubes, add some rock salt and screw it all back together. Shake like hell, and pour it all out. Never seem to have problems. Wait a minute... maybe that's my coffee pot I'm thinking about... So how ya doin', Mike? =8^) Robert

These past few days, I've had a chair to upholster and needed to refinished the woodwork. I had the spraying problems with the first spraying. Since Mike's reply, I cleaned the vent and gun-can gasket and was able to finish the spraying with no problems.... very minimal spitting/skipping of the spray stream.

Last week, I had a roccoco sofa to upholster and woodwork to refinish, so my spraying problems had gotten to the point that something needed to be done. I was at a loss as to what the problem was. Previously, I had thought my cleaning had been good enough and had assumed, maybe, the gun unit (something internal?) was wearing out.

For the past few months, there were signs of the gun not performing properly, which became worse and worse. Initially, I didn't pay it too much mind, until the finishing results were more than sub-par and not acceptible.

Sometimes, I take a day or two and devote to cutting tools sharpening, including garden tools, mowers, etc. Time to devote some quality time to thorough cleaning of these other tools. I spent time, yesterday, giving the air compressor a good maintenance going over, though it's been working fine.

I usually keep up with preventative maintenance of stuff. Apparently not so with the finish sprayer. I'll do a complete cleaning this week, sometime..

Sonny