Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Ceiling Repair

wrote in
:

I have a very old (100+ years) house, and am having issues with the
lathe and plaster ceiling in one of the bedrooms. The plaster has
started to sag and is causing some cracking. The cracks are all
hairline, except for the spot where all the cracks are forming from,
which is a hole about 1/8-1/4 of an inch wide.

Issue doesn't appear to be water damage related, but just from
age/house settling.

After doing some research into the issue, it seems that my best
course of action would be to put some screws into the ceiling to
secure the plaster and then patch over it. I do have some
additional questions:

1)Even though this is caused by loose ceiling, would i still need to
score the cracks, and if so how deep will I want to go?

2)Do I need to score, secure, and patch all in the same day, or is
this a process that I can break up over 4-5 days?

3) Once I'm ready to patch, should I get some mesh to put down after
the first layer of patching?

4) What kind of patching agent should I use? I've seen DIY articles
recommend anything from all purpose bonding agent up to durabond.

5) Should I screw all along the cracks, or just where I feel loose
ceiling?

Thank you all in advance!

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...630910,00.html

Vid shows use of plaster washers and mesh method.