patriarch

Default router table questions

"Charlie Mraz" wrote in
:

I have some questions regarding router table fabrication.

snippage

What you start with, and what you MAY end up with can be two very different
things.

Warning #1: Watch out for that charlieb fellow. He will start building a
simple push stick, and then, next thing you know, there's a work of art
there, just to push some stuff past a sawblade. BSEG He tries hard, but
every project seems to get real fancy, real soon. ;-)

Warning #2: I've got some of the same tendencies.

Warning #3: You can start with a plunge router screwed to the bottom of a
rigid table top, with a small opening, clamped to a pair of sawhorses, and
can get a lot done. Like building a real router table, in addition to some
great cabinets and furniture. But I think you're gonna want a plate with
inserts, because, at very least, it makes pulling the router up to change
bits, and to make adjustments SO much easier. You have to try very hard to
spend more than $75 on a plate, predrilled for your plunge router, with
inserts.

Advice: Don't get too carried away, right away. I have a simple table and
fence setup which works for me, such that the Jointech fence sits on the
shelf, waiting until I have the time/priority to build a better table.
(The Jointech is a superb piece of equipment, given me by a friend, who
changed his entire system over to Incra.) 18 months it sits.

If you can find The Router Workshop on PBS, you'll see just how simple a
router table can be, and still turn out marvelous work.

Patriarch