Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DAT "video" head replacement?

dave wrote:
On 09/07/2013 04:19 AM, N_Cook wrote:
I've decided , when I get back to it , to drill matching 8 holes in a
plate and hope 8x 1mm screws, 5 threads each, will hold in place while
trying to separate the 2 drums

It has been my experience that once you start cleaning a rotary head
with qtips and alcohol the head is gone. If the '"dirty up" brush, then

qtips on flying heads is always bad news. They'll snag and shed. I've
always used acetone and plain paper for cleaning such heads. It works
great.

qtips and acetone for the path and capstan and pinch roller. A soft dull
screwdriver tip can scape edge of the tape crud off a capstan.

Some heads (well the drums) looks pristeen but no longer function. Some
cruddy looking ones still work fine. Anyways, if the cover comes off,
everything gets cleaned.

a cleaning tape, won't clear things the head is gone. It is not
cost-effective to replace. You can buy an SSD based recorder/player for
way less than the cost of a new drum.

Somebody want want to play back some dat tapes. In the video world,
cleaning tapes are pretty pointless as they can't clean the path.