Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Set screws on hard shaft

Maybe a small point, but having the set screws opposite each other would be
the worst way to use set screws, wouldn't it? If you have to use two of
them, shouldn't they be 90 degrees from each other so they are both pulling
the part toward the same side of shaft?

Pete Stanaitis

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
I have an application where a 1" dia. shaft is hard to R-62 and a part is
attached with two opposing 3/8" cup-point set screws. The part has a cam
follower on it and rotating the part on the shaft then locking it with the
set screws is a positioning adjustment. There is about 75 pounds of force
on the part. I hate this set-up! I just don't trust it not to slip but I
can't think of a better way of locking the part on the shaft yet be able
to adjust it easily.