Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Set screws on hard shaft

On 9/9/2013 10:22 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

I have an application where a 1" dia. shaft is hard to R-62 and a part
is attached with two opposing 3/8" cup-point set screws. The part has a
cam follower on it and rotating the part on the shaft then locking it
with the set screws is a positioning adjustment. There is about 75
pounds of force on the part. I hate this set-up! I just don't trust it
not to slip but I can't think of a better way of locking the part on the
shaft yet be able to adjust it easily.

You need a collet setup. It sounds like you have a hub on the
cam where the setscrews are. Turn the OD of the hub to a
smooth, constant diameter. Slot across the hub, probably twice
at right angles. Then, make a snug-fitting collar that goes around the
hub. Make one slit in the collar and cross-drill for a setscrew that
will close up the slit. (Easier to drill and tap first, then saw-cut
the slit.) When this is clamped firmly over the hub, it forms a
collet that can be VERY tight.

Jon

Yep, I agree.