Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do razor blades get dull so fast?

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 10:55:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, March 22, 2010 1:14:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there some abrasive in my beard?
Is the water corroding the edge?

Could they make razors with carbide?

You could always be a real man and grow a beard. THEN your blades last months because all you use it for is shaping the edges. Until then, enjoy the hassle of daily shaving.

(To avoid the accusations of trolling, this was said in good fun. Don't misinterpret my intent with the wrong tone.)

Yes, hair is somewhat abrasive, the water corrodes, and the blades are
cheaply made and poorly sharpened.

Switch to a straight razor and keep it stropped. I used to do that
but it became quicker and easier to go to a Norelco Triple Header. I
don't have much facial hair at all, so it works fine for me. My
straight razor is in my BugOutBag, fer sher. (Hmm, I'd best put the
strop in there, too, hadn't I?)

For carbide blades, try the Satanley, but good luck shaving with your
utility knife. g
http://tinyurl.com/onjv29c

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen