Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Still & condenser

"Scromlette" wrote in message
. au...
It's got some minor metal work involved, but unfortunately no guns
or politics.....

I use quite a bit of methylated spirits to clean electronic PCBs as
part of a cottage business I run. The solvent becomes laden with
dissolved rosin flux & has to be discarded so I've been thinking
about distilling it for reuse. It's costing me 3 or 4 dollars per
litre.

I was toying with the idea of electrically heating an old pressure
cooker vented through either a copper coil or an old refrigerator
heat exchanger. I'm not sure if draping wet cloth on the heat
exchanger would be sufficient cooling.

I think the BP of the methylated spirits is ~ 82 Celsius (180F).
Has anyone any experience doing this sort of thing (moonshine
perhaps?)

Will it be worth the effort?

This is a cross-section of a commercial vapor degreaser.
http://www.microcareprecisioncleaner...the_system.jpg

All the ones I used back in the 1970's were simple rectangular
stainless tanks with a heater in the bottom and a coil of cooling
water pipe near the top, with a gutter under it to catch the
condensate. You could make one from two different-diameter tin cans
with the smaller one inlet part way into the bottom of the larger to
form the gutter
jsw