Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Set screws on hard shaft

Tom Gardner wrote:

I have an application where a 1" dia. shaft is hard to R-62 and a part
is attached with two opposing 3/8" cup-point set screws. The part has a
cam follower on it and rotating the part on the shaft then locking it
with the set screws is a positioning adjustment. There is about 75
pounds of force on the part. I hate this set-up! I just don't trust it
not to slip but I can't think of a better way of locking the part on the
shaft yet be able to adjust it easily.

How much adjustment range and how fine an adjustment is needed? A
splined setup comes to mind, 36 spline, 10 degree adjustments. How about
pinning the shaft connection and making the adjustment offboard in the
cam follower arm with a threaded adjustment?