Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Set screws on hard shaft

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:47:47 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks
wrote:

I have an application where a 1" dia. shaft is hard to R-62 and a part
is attached with two opposing 3/8" cup-point set screws. The part has a
cam follower on it and rotating the part on the shaft then locking it
with the set screws is a positioning adjustment. There is about 75
pounds of force on the part. I hate this set-up! I just don't trust it
not to slip but I can't think of a better way of locking the part on the
shaft yet be able to adjust it easily.

====================

Although this will require a new hub and increase cost, one
of the best solutions is what is called a split cotter [not
cotter key] Very compact and has tremendous grip. Another
possibility is the commercial tapered collet and hub which
is tightened and removed with set screws. Also very compact
and strong but $$$.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-cotter-design
http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTMillKurtViseStop.htm
http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...longknurl.html