Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default Set screws on hard shaft

On 9/10/2013 0:47, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have an application where a 1" dia. shaft is hard to R-62 and a part
is attached with two opposing 3/8" cup-point set screws. The part has a
cam follower on it and rotating the part on the shaft then locking it
with the set screws is a positioning adjustment. There is about 75
pounds of force on the part. I hate this set-up! I just don't trust it
not to slip but I can't think of a better way of locking the part on the
shaft yet be able to adjust it easily.

Some locking arrangement with tapered parts comes to mind.

A couple of bolts to pull the taper tight, a couple of threads
at other end to release the taper. Quite standard arrangement
for pulleys, and handles lots of torque. "Taper lock" is one
trademark. You can get them as separate parts so you can use
your own cam follower, just bore the middle to match the OD
of the taper lock sleeve. Cost is quite low, around 20usd..
Untightening it is surprisingly easy with the bolts at the
opening threads, pushing the tapered parts apart.