Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default DAT "video" head replacement?

On 09/08/2013 10:47 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
m...

On 09/07/2013 03:48 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"dave" wrote in message

On 09/07/2013 04:19 AM, N_Cook wrote:
I've decided , when I get back to it , to drill matching 8 holes in a
plate and hope 8x 1mm screws, 5 threads each, will hold in place while
trying to separate the 2 drums

It has been my experience that once you start cleaning a rotary head
with qtips and alcohol the head is gone.

That might be because cleaning a DAT head with a Q tip is the fastest
way to destroy it.

Gareth.

It's already gone if you have to try "anything". The best way to keep
those decks clean is to not use junk tape. The little brush cannot get
clogged.

I don't understand your claim here.
I have come across many a DAT where one head output is minimal, causing
glitching, but cleaning it restores it back to health.
Its amazing how much black sludge can come off these heads.

And like most things of this nature, "cleaning tapes" or that silly
brush thing just don't work, you have to get in there and do it properly
by hand.

Gareth.

Those are contacts, not the head gaps. Where is your "black sludge"
coming from?