Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentices and charity work

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 15:08:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's a daft question, really. Some jobs are a vocation - missionary,
teacher, doctor, etc. But nobody has a vocation to be an electrician.

No wonder manual skills are so much looked down on in the UK.

Balls. Who has a "vocation" to be an accountant or an IT consultant or a
TV sound bloke or whatever?

Balls to you.

Collins GEM English Dictionary
vocation n. occupation that someone feels called to; profession or trade.
˜vocational adj. directed towards a particular profession or trade.

So it could equally apply to an engine driver. Or astronaut.

It was at one time applied to those who chose a 'noble' job above material
reward. But both teachers and doctors are well paid these days.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.