Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message ...

The design looks poor, so that's where I'll point the blame. ; )

Here is a drawing of the current design along with my proposed solution:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/deckstep.jpg

Based on your drawing it appears that there would be room to screw a
ledger board on each of the long sides of the framing and then rest
the new "joists" on the ledger boards and secure them by screwing into
the end grain. The ledger board will support much of the load... they
could be ripped from 5/4" PT decking.

John

John, That is a clever idea. I thought of using a "ledger board" (not in
those words) in the position you described, but then I thought of laying
the "joists" flat--and there is too much wrong with that approach. Your
idea on the other hand would work. I am going to try the "joist
hangers" woodchucker suggested because I've never used them before. I'm
also going to up it to 3 "joists" instead of just 2 (12 inches between
centers). The rest of the deck has joists at 13" centers, and we are not
that light on our toes around here...

I better get it done before I decide it needs a coat of paint or stain
(which it might...)!

Thank you!
Bill