Jay Pique

Default Glue weaker than wood?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:20:48 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
thlink.net

I can't think of an instance where
something is designed in woodworking to fail.

Shoji screens are made with rice glue so that they can be easily
knocked apart, repaired and reassembled.

JP

The idea is that something
should be built so that it will never fail. It is probably a valid point
when dealing with metal mechanical things such as engines, transmissions,
etc. I don't believe the same philosophy has any place in the construction
of an endtable.

Quite right.

PVA is a release agent when mixed with almost anything else except
water. I believe meths is used with it in fibreglass molds. Any glue
joint will fail too where one or both sides is rubbed down with a damp
cloth and the pores are full of water when the glue is applied. These
are not engineered devices but poor practice.