Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Apprentices and charity work

On 08/09/2013 21:31, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 09/08/2013 08:09 PM, tony sayer wrote:

I have just had it confirmed by one of mine that there are some kids
getting
their food cut up for them in thye lower primary school years.

They do not even make them finish the mains befor ethey are allowed
pudding
- this I have seen with my own eyes.

Seems it gets worse!.

Just wonder who let t us get into this state of affairs?...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News...lence-against-
Cambridgeshire-teachers-by-frenzied-pupils-revealed-20130907020000.htm

You only have to watch Jeremy Kyle to get a glimpse of the example set
to many children, plus if the children are then chastised by the
school, the 'parents' are down there immediately causing mayhem.

I was recently working with a guy, early 20s, and he made an appointment
to see the head of his kid's school to ask why a teacher had shouted at
his boy and upset him. The boy had been misbehaving and was verbally
admonished. The father said he was going to lay the law down with the
school that the teacher's behaviour was wrong and he wanted an apology
and assurances that it would not happen again. His kid of course could
do no wrong, he was just expressing himself.

We certainly have joined the school in telling off or punishing our
children if they have misbehaved, but there can be another side and
parents must be able to defend their children when they have been wronged.

Our eldest child suffered school punishments twice in the space of a
fortnight (kept in at playtimes and luchtimes) for two separate events.
The first was for hitting another child, the second was for swearing. In
both cases he came home very upset and it turned out that the teacher
(new to teaching) had got it wrong.

Yes, he did hit a child - while trying to escape from a much bigger
child who was holding him and pinning his arms to his sides, while a
second child encouraged a third to spin round with arms outstretched
getting closer and closer to him. These children had a history of
bullying him during the previous (reception) year.

Yes, he did stick two fingers up - while telling another child that my
computer had "two" DVD drives. I'd be more worried about the background
of a year 1 child who knew that two fingers was swearing!

In both cases, we politely told the teacher what had happened and she
was very sorry. Incidentally out two younger children have since had
this same teacher and she has become much more aware of what is really
happening rather than what appears to be happening at first sight.

SteveW