Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More leakers.

On 9/8/2013 5:17 PM, wrote:
That's a viable strategy. I've had a long standing

discussion with a friend of mine regarding the "cheap
and disposable" vs. "quality but 'spensive" paradigm
when it comes to tools. I have a real Skil brand
circular saw, a Snap-On torque wrench, a Milwaukee
Sawzall, angle grinder, 1/2" drill, etc. Most of
his tools are from the Freight.

That might be true if the cheap tool actually works. I've bought
enough crap in my life to swear off cheap tools, forever. Saws that
don't cut straight to drills that don't. Even though I'm a DIYer, I
can't afford cheap tools.

CY: Some of the HF stuff actually works. The challenge is to find which
ones.

For flashlights around the house, anything works. Just salt enough of
them around that one will be within reach when the lights go out.

CY: The military talks about using your pistol to fight your way back to
your rifle. Rifle to fight back to your unit. The light in your pocket
helps find the real flash light in storage.

OTOH, if I were a cop, I'd probably want a nice 6x'D' Maglight. ;-)

CY: Real cops carry tasers, pistol, and so on. Rent a cops
and security guys like 6D mags for the plausible deniability.

The same discussion applies here. I like my Surefire

flashlight. There's really no economic justification for
having it, but it feels quality in the hand, the threads
are butter smooth, and I *know* deep down inside that if
it fails to work, that new cells will fix it, because
there's really no other failure mode that is likely.
But for what it cost, I could have bought four of the
TF lights, or a whole shedload of HF lights.

CY:Nice that someone out there has quality.

One of the HFs will more likely be within reach, too. ;-)

CY: Yeah, a HF in the hand beats....

BUT... when you make that decision, then you have

to use quality cells, because you don't want your
quality device to die a premature death because of
leaking cells.

The problem is that they all leak. The only advantage of the
expensive brands is the warranty. That's too late, IMO.

CY: I've had enough leak. You're right, none is exempt.

I hear you. I just do it occasionally. If I have a drawer full of
batteries, I just replace cells when I reach for the widget. I don't
store any batteries in more expensive gear (laser levels, DVMs, etc.)
that aren't in continuous use. I put new batteries in at every use
then pull and toss them when I put the tools away.

CY: You toss part used batteries? What a waste.

That, a

few battery powered tools, and a couple smaller flashlights
that operate off AAs is where the first batch of NiMHs that
I bought ended up.

CY: neat, I also use NiMH in my daily driver flash light.

Well, I also have two Fluke meters that use 9V batteries...

for some reason those don't seem to leak nearly as often as
single cells though.

I've notices that, as well. Yes, I own a couple of Flukes and a pot
full of HFs. The HFs are bait. I've had a couple of Flukes run away
and not come home.

CY: I like being able to have HF meter in nearly every tool box.
If I blow one up, let out the smoke, it's no big deal.

I tend to end up using one multimeter or other at least

once a week, and in all cases removing the cells/batteries
requires at least a screwdriver, so I'm thinking switching
to NiMH is in the cards.

I may use mine at home once a year. They pay me too much to do
electronics on my time. ;-)

CY: Good on you!