Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Apprentices and charity work

In message , tim.....
writes

An apprentice who joined in my year turned out to be a member of the
Plymouth Brethren. He wasn't allowed to do anything *worldly*.

and what do you mean by that? Does it stop the person doing the job?

Apparently. He sat twiddling his thumbs in the apprentice school for 3
weeks and then disappeared.

Someone didn't ask enough questions.

It's a question that if you did ask (and act upon the answer) could see
you on the wrong end of a discrimination suit

This was 1960!

I suppose a suitable question might be *now John, if we were to offer
you this opportunity would you be able to work alongside someone
listening to the radio?*

I made that up but that was his sort of problem.

--
Tim Lamb