Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default More leakers.

On 09/08/2013 07:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/8/2013 7:13 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Yeah, I just buy the cheapest flashlights I can find. If the
batteries leak, so be it. I try to change the batteries frequently
but if I forget, I haven't lost much. Clocks are another thing. :-(

Actually those little single AA quartz clock mechanisms are available
and cheap. I tend to like my flashlights though!

CY: Which is fine, if you have the skills to change out the clock
mechanism. Many folks don't. Flashlights? Yes, sure is nice to see what
I'm working on, I'm a repair guy. I use my minimag nearly every day.
Also to be able to walk around at night when the power is out. Or
outdoors. A couple days ago, I visited some friends who live out in the
country. Needed my light to get back to the car, it sure gets dark.

As I posted last night, I actually lost another one yesterday to
leakers... but it was a 2xC cell "Task Force" light so I'm only out
$30ish.

CY: I think I've seen those in Home Depot. Did you try to clean out the
crud? They do look like fun, but I've got other lights.

Other than a 4xD Mag-Lite, it's probably the light that I have
with the worst weight-to-light-output ratio, could have been worse...

CY: Oops, maybe better that I don't have one?

I didn't do anything wrong with this one though, just happened to check
it and found the cells leaking. It was in my nightstand drawer in case
the power went out, lived in the glovebox of a car for a while before
that, but in any case was rarely used and the cells were still good. If
there was any "abuse" might be temperature extremes, but still...

CY: Sounds like there was enough "in date" left, they should have been
fine. But were not, of course. I have a couple of lights I really should
check and replace the batteries. i've heard Mag C or D lights leak,
because the tail cap spring is very powerful.

Worst part is I've bought literally dozens of NiMH AA and AAA cells in
an attempt to eradicate all alkalines from my life but haven't got
around to the few larger-cell devices yet.

CY: I've had excellent results with the stay charged NiMH. I have some
for my pocket light and digital camera. I rotate them every couple days
with charged ones, so maybe it's not a true test.

I'm going to have to do that
soon, as one of those devices is my Simpson 260, and if I lost that I'd
be mad. ("just take the batteries out when you're not using it" isn't a
viable strategy as it takes about 5-10 minutes to do so.)

CY: I had a Simpson. It got crushed in the back of my van, and that was
a very sad moment. I found that very useful meter.

Don't let my comments about the Task Force (Lowes) light discourage you
from buying it, if you think it will be useful to you. For $30 it is a
hell of a little light with the only functional drawback being that it
is not waterproof. The machining is a little crude on the threads but
other than that can't complain too much. It was a great deal maybe 3-4
years ago when it was introduced (which is why it became my default
"stash in strategic locations" light); if they still sell them, get the
2-C cell one with the 3W Cree LED.

Compared to, say, a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff LED drop in, it ain't
much (actually light output is comparable but the quality of the
Surefire is so much better) but it will blow your mag-lite away.

And literally as I started typing this the power went out, so having
flashlights is a Good Thing (tm). Gotta go power down and shut off the
beepers on all the UPS units.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.