Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:37:41 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

John B. on Sun, 08 Sep 2013 09:27:13 +0700 typed

From my reading, forcing cones on revolvers tend to be larger,
because of the issue of indexing. That is, loose tolerances or worn
mechanism may result in a chamber not lining up with the barrel, Sot
he manufacturer just makes a big funnel at the on end of the barrel to
catch the bullet in, and guide it to the center of the barrel.

I can't speak for all revolvers but a mate used S&W's for both
centerfire and .45 guns and the cylinder certainly indexed better then
that and the forcing cone on both guns was not that big.

I don't know how "big" is big. Probably a diameter just few
thousands of an inch larger than the bullet or case. All depends,
yada, yada yada.

But I did know a bloke that shot a revolver in both the .22 and the
centerfire matches and he had the cylinders marked on both guns and
fired all his slow fire using one chamber.

What ever works.

I'm just now really coming to grok that the bullet is "tossed"
from the cylinder to the barrel and then propellant gases are leaking
out the gap. "Ve vill haft to do zomsink about dis!" (For
Sicience!)

If you are worried about gas leakage between the cylinder and the
barrel look at the Nagant M1895 Revolver that moved the cylinder
forward to seal against the rear of the barrel.

Made it the only revolver which could work with a silencer
attached, too.

True, but silent or not it was a pretty awkward design :-)

I think it was Webley which made an "Automatic Revolver" that
would fire, rotate the cylinder and fire until you released the
trigger or all cylinders were dry.

From what I read it only cocked the hammer and rotated the cylinder. I
read one description that said it was popular amount target shooters
which probably would rule out it being a tiny machine gun :-)

Apparently the only revolver to have this function, for some reason
:-)

Mechanical marvels. "Playthings for the rich, comrade." But
still cool.
--
pyotr filipivich

Cheers,