Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Thread stripping calculation/look-up table?

I need to do a hub-pulling type operation on a small piece of equipment
that is not made to be taken apart, so no purpose-made anchor points.
There are 8 off , 1mm tapped holes with 5 threads per hole , in the
aluminium available (used for undemanding normal fixing to the chassis)
, if I drill a plate to take 8 screws . The only screws of that thread I
have are brass, probably preferable to steel anyway. For a similar
hub-pulling where there was purchase , after heating (limited as to
amount that can be used ), required about 4Kg of force to extract. Would
4Kg , assuming even distributed loading over the 8 screws be above or
below the stripping force ?
I found these sites but not applicable for my purpose it would seem

www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/e3_6e.htm
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...ead_Calcs.html