Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

"Steve W." on Sat, 07 Sep 2013 02:09:52 -0400
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Oh..and Im sure you know why the 357 mag was made 1/10 of an inch
longer...right?

So you had to buy the new revolver to shoot it.

Sort of. It was made longer so it will not function in .38 special
weapons. The .357 is loaded to 2+ times the pressures of the .38
special. As such it can do very serious damage if you try to use it in a
.38 Special firearm. BUT the inverse is that if you have a revolver
chambered in .357 mag. you can use .38 special ammo in it for a reduced
pressure load for plinking and practice. Then work your way up to full
bore .357 loads.

One of those "Oh .. thit!" moments, I'd just bought a 38 special
when I wanted a 357. I'd wanted a 357 for just that reason. But
"Thirty eight special" just rolled off my tongue. Nerts.

It's similar to a pistol or single shot .22LR. In those you can shoot
.22 LR, .22Long, .22 Short, .22CB and .22BB

Yep.
--
pyotr filipivich