Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default I want an ethernet cable reel

On 06/09/2013 05:25, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Graham.
escribió:

Huh indeed, and I'm also having trouble excepting

accepting

Mike's assertion
that kinking UTP seriously affects performance.

plenty of evidence on Google if you can work out how to use it,
including from people who know what they're talking about, like Belden,
who make the cable.

Kinks cause reflections in the cable - too many and you WILL impact
performance. Might work OK at 10/100 but fail at gigabit, for example.

IME you need a fairly severe kink to actually cause a problem, and the
problem is usually loss of comms altogether rather than a reduction in
performance.

I know it's a view
that's widely held, but I have never fount it to be a problem unless
the conductors or their insulation are damaged.

Well, that marks you out as a cowboy installer then, doesn't it?

More milk tibbles?

--
Cheers,

John.