Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?

On Friday, September 6, 2013 1:14:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/6/2013 11:44 AM, mcadchri wrote:

The only way around this is to have an unlicensed individual

(handyman, do-it-yourselfer) perform the repair. If you do this though you

are rolling the dice on whether or not this repair will be done properly.

If, let's say, your handyman replaces the valve and does a shoddy job and

the valve bursts 3 months after installation, any damage to floors, walls,

ceilings, etc., will be the responsibility of the homeowner to fix out of

pocket. The insurance company will disregard the claim because your device

was not installed by a state licensed industry professional.

Hope this helps!

Do you have evidence of this? I've never heard of a claim being denied

because of a DIY install. I've never heard of an insurance company

asking for information about an installer.

+1

Frequently claimed here, but I've yet to see one example of
an insurance company doing it. And he's also wrong on another
aspect. There is absolutely nothing preventing people in most
parts of the country from doing repairs in their own home
themselves without being licensed. You are frequently required to get
a permit, depending on what you are doing. But even here in the
Peoples Republic of NJ, you can do work on your own home, without
being licensed.