Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator -- terrible smell!

Take everything out of the freezer. Inside, in the back,
is a panel that covers the evaporator. Pull several
screws, the panel comes out. My guess is that in the
drain pan (about two inches front to back, goes the width
of the freezer) there is some food that slipped in under
there. Chunk of frozen carrots, or some thing. Might
rinse this all out with some bleach dilute. The aluminum
fins are razor sharp, and cut skin very easily, DAMHIKT.

I further suggest you cut back on drive through food, and
buy a new two slice pop up toaster.

Remit $47.50 for consultation

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/5/2013 9:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Desperate! For over a month there has been a

terrible smell coming from the refrigerator AND
the freezer!!!

Frig. is a medium-end Whirlpool w/top freezer,

about 6-7 years old.

I took EVERY item out of the frig, smelled it

(nothing) washed the entire frig. section. Did
the same with the freezer - where the smell, oddly
enough, seems STRONGER! No change; smell still there.

IMPORTANT: When I was cleaning out the freezer,

the blast of air SEEMED to be carrying the odor.
By now, I am so crazy that I'm not even sure of THAT!

I asked a handyman who was doing some work for

me to smell the frig/freezer. Asked him whether
an animal could have crawled behind and died. He
sensibly replied that if that were the case, the
whole kitchen would smell.

So has something gotten into the ?? lines ???

that cool the frig/freezer?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

HB