Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default DAT "video" head replacement?

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

On 05/09/2013 15:06, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
Sony DAT audio DTC 690 drum assembly/ DOU-03A/ 8-848-567-11
Initially, anyone know how to get the top drum off, I don't want to heat
up to separate interference fit , if there is some secret fixing.
Then anyone happen to know if video heads are the same, they look the
same
via what little I can see of them.

BTW, if you remove the head or move anything else, you will need to
realign
the tape path, and you won't be able to do that properly without an
alignment tape.

Ideally you also need a tension tape to measure and adjust back tension.

Gareth.

I can't make things worse. Smashed up heads, probably from foam breaking
up / snagging on the silly "head-dirtier" arm

Or someone trying to clean them with a cotton bud or something.
I always used to use ordinary copy paper soaked in alcohol, so you can feel
with your fingertip exactly what is happening to the heads as they are
cleaned.

If you ever get into a position where you get this working, I can give some
tips how to attempt a realignment without an alignment tape.

Cheers,

Gareth.