Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default I want an ethernet cable reel

En el artículo , Mike
Barnes escribió:

What I've never been sure of is whether failure is likely to result if a
patch cable is stored kinked and then unkinked before use.

It's hard to tell whether you've successfully unkinked the cores because
the loose outer insulation on some cables disguises problems, so
although the insulation might look ok, the cores inside may not be. The
only way to be sure is to use a proper tester (= $$$). If a patch cable
looks ratty, the retaining clips are broken off, or it shows signs of
abuse (having been kinked, walked on, run over, etc.) I bin it and
replace - they're dirt cheap.

When I did building Cat5/6 flood installs of solid cable for a cable
installation firm, any cable that got kinked badly during install was
replaced immediately. Fluke testing them before replacement usually
resulted in a failure. If the cable had only been lightly kinked and
passed testing, we left it in situ.

This is why it's worth getting the pros in to do data cable
installations rather than leaving it to the sparkies or so-called "IT
pros".

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)