Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Router table safety

On 9/5/13 7:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Here's one he might consider.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,240,41065

Or if you prefer to go slumming, they have these over at HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=foot+switch

Either way, make sure you get the momentary switch, otherwise any
safety aspect is negated. I use one of those foot switches with my
router and like knowing that it will shut off if my foot moves.

I would not use the momentary switch. That forces you to remain in what can
become an awkward position, in order to keep your foot on the switch.

If you're in an awkward position *with* a foot switch, you're in an
awkward position *without* it. I'm not in the habit of moving around
when using my router table. If anything, it encourages you to find safer
methods to move the work piece across the table.

disagree that any safety aspect is negated - in fact as I said - it could be
argued that momentary can create its own unsafe environment.

Not in my experience. If something sudden were to happen, your instinct
would be to step away, stopping the router.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--