Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Officail: fear of radiation kills more people than radiation.

On 05/09/13 22:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 05/09/13 11:28, GB wrote:

You mean from this particular spill? Do you have figures for how
many
of their experienced staff have had to stop work because of
radiation
limits? Or are you saying it's just 2 since the original problems
started? If so, I must express my surprise.

As far as I know only two workers have been laid off because they had
reached teh 100mSV limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_50

"Over 30 workers are radiated beyond 100 mSv by 23 April 2011."

Since the actual accident they wear suits when in higher level
radiation
zones. Why would they not? They have also used robots.

I think they are only wearing paper overalls and particulate masks.
The idea is to protect against ingesting/breathing in radioactive
particle.

Pretty much anything protects against beta radiation when it is
outside the body. The beta radiation risk is from radioactive
particles inside. That's why pluton
Plutonium is not serious at all. I am not sure anyone ever died of
plutonium.
Polonium..is a different matter.

AIUI, plutonium is a *chemical* poison if ingested via one of its salts,
but then so are many heavy metals.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter13.html

So ytou get your "facts" from religious texts?

Full of your usual crap I see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Toxicity
During the decay of plutonium, three types of radiation are released-alpha,
beta, and gamma. Alpha radiation can travel only a short distance and cannot
travel through the outer, dead layer of human skin. Beta radiation can
penetrate human skin, but cannot go all the way through the body. Gamma
radiation can go all the way through the body.[89] Alpha, beta, and gamma
radiation are all forms of ionizing radiation. Either acute or longer-term
exposure carries a danger of serious health outcomes includingradiation
sickness, genetic damage, cancer, and death. The danger increases with the
amount of exposure.
Unquote