Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Refrigerator -- terrible smell!

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:44:14 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:
Higgs:

Check the ice cream in your freezer to see if it's stiff. If it's not

stiff, it could be that the fridge cold control is malfunctioning, and

it's not keeping the fridge as cold as it should be.

Ice cream is stiff and all food in the freezer is frozen.

Every old fridge will smell if you unplug it and let it warm up. I

really don't know if that's because of food that has been spilled in the

fridge that got into places where it couldn't be cleaned up, or simply

because of frost that forms in the fridge walls when it's operating and

then supports the growth of mildew when it melts.

If this fridge is operating and it's stinking, then we're in uncharted

territory because I've never come across that before.

OPERATING. STINKING.

If the fridge is shut off and it's stinking, the best deodorant I know

of for smelly unplugged fridges is a product called "Ozium" which you

can buy at any appliance parts store. You just open the fridge and

freezer doors and spray a shot of Ozium into each, and then close the

doors.

NOT SHUT OFF. OPERATING OK.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to take everything out of the

fridge, put on some rubber gloves and clean the entire interior of the

fridge with bleach straight out of the jug. Wear old clothes when doing

this kind of work.

I DID THT ALREADY, AS POSTED IN ORIGINAL MESSAGE.

I would also take the cover in the freezer compartment off and see if

there's been any food spilled so that it's sitting on the evaporator pan

under the evaporator coil. If so, clean that up.

HOW GET COVER OFF? I WENT TO EHOW BUT COULDN'T FIND SPECIFIC INFO.

Also, see if you can remove any air vents either on the freezer floor or

fresh food compartment ceiling and see if there's any spilled food in

the section between the fresh food compartment and freezer.

OMG, HAVE TO SEE IF i CAN DO.

SOMEWHAT DOUBT ABOUT SPILLED FOOD..EVERYTHING IN FREEZER IS FROZEN SOLID BUT...

Other than that, then I think the only other recourse would to be turn

the fridge cold control to keep the fridge colder.

AGAIN, DESPITE MY IGNORANCE, DON'T THINK THAT WILL DO IT. EVERYTHING WAS GOING ALONG FINE UNTIL THIS SMELL STARTED FEW WEEKS AGO.

HOPE TO HELL IT ISN'T SOME CRITTER GOT IN THERE..

TX FOR HELP. WILL TRY REMOVING FREEZER PANEL.

STAY TUNED...

HB

--

nestork