Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Router table safety

On 9/4/2013 11:54 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I pinged Pat Warner earlier today to ask about a safe way to present a short box side to a hot cutter on the router table for the purpose of routing a stopped dado for the box bottom. Pat's advice is never drop a workpiece onto a hot cutter on the router table. This is something I have done often with longer box and drawer sides.

As one who is fond of all of my fingers, I am going to take his advice. I see two options:

-- Create a jig/fixture to hold the work and guide my plunge router through the cut.

-- Use an upcut bit on the table and raise the cutter into the work, which it turn would be held by a fixture of some sort. Once the cutter is at the proper depth, then advance the piece to the stop.

So, I'm curious as to WREC denizens' practices and thoughts about the second option.

Larry

I have for longer pieces just tilted and moved in. Make sure to tilt so
that the turning of the bit forces the wood to the fence, make sure the
wood is against the fence.

Or I use a plunge router setup with a fence attached to the workpiece...
Either way.

--
Jeff