Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Caked fertilizer: best way to use?

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:42:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

We have half a large bag of Scott's SummerGuard fertilizer that has
large caked lumps in it -- not clumps of granules, but huge
"crystalline" blocks. I don't think it ever came in contact with water;
rather, it absorbed moisture from the atmosphere.

It's too late to use it this year, but is there a reasonable way of
using it next year? Dissolve it in water and spray it on the lawn? But
how to calculate the application rate?

Perce

My first option would be to call Scotts and see what they have to say.
I think they may be able to help.
Call Us. Scotts Help Center experts are available toll-free at
1-888-270-3714.

My next option would be to weigh portion of the good stuff and then
spread it. If say, 5 pounds covered 500 feet you figure a pound per
hundred. Then I'd dissolve a pound of the chunk in water and spray
that over the same pound (or whatever) per hundred square feet. .