Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table safety

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Alternatively you could drill a starting hole, set the box over that
hole then spin up the router, still using a parallel fence setup.

I might shut off the router and let it spin down at the end to avoid
any possible unintentional hog out while lifting it back out.

I figured this out just short of the hard way! A simple foot switch with a
push-on-push-off switch, mounted in a metal electrical box, that your router
plugs into is just the ticket for this kind of thing. You don't have to
take your hands off the piece, look under the table, or any of that stuff.
Cheap parts - all availabe at the BORG.

To make it simple to build, just get a 4" box and flat cover and two romex
clamps and whatever length of cord you want to run from the floor switch to
an outlet. Get a male grounded connector and a female grounded connector
(120v). Mount the switch in the cover of the box, cut off a foot or so of
your cord and run it from the box with a female connector on it for the
router to plug into. Run the remainder of the cord from the box with the
male connector, to plug into the wall. Make the necessary connections to
the switch, etc. in the box and you're done.

--

-Mike-