Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Sheet vinyl vs. tile ??

"nestork" wrote in message Mildew grows
especially thick on ceramic tile grout, but only if that
tiling is around a shower. I take baths. I've had maybe 3 showers in
25 years. There is no mildew on any of the ceramic tiling in my
bathroom, and it's entirely because there is no food (namely vegetable
oils) on the ceramic tiling in my bathroom for the mildew to eat.
Nothing can survive without food.

But, as soon as you get someone in that bathroom having showers with bar
soap, then the mildew will start to grow right away, if not on the grout
lines because they're sealed, then on the silicone caulk around the tub
or shower.

That probably explains why I had so much trouble with the mildew and mold in
a tiled bathroom in my other house. With 4 people taking 99% showers with
that bars soap, the mildew had plenty of 'food'.