Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default More leakers.

On 9/5/2013 9:05 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
From some article [article in EDN or Electronics Design, or such]
storing batteries in the fridge is fraught with peril. People open and
close fridge doors, don't just leave things in there. As a result a
slight layer of moisutre forms on the surface of the stored battery. The
slight amount of moisture that comes and goes provides a discharge path
and you end up with a lot of cold, dead batteries [sorry for the
reference] According to the 'article' the shelf lifetime was actually
less inside a kitchen fridge than at room temp, and very much longer
inside a laboraotry fridge, which is not opened very much. [All from
memory, but makes sense]

*IF* you're going to store batteries in fridge, store in sealed
containers containing a dessicant. Then you get the advantage of the
cool storage WITHOUT the moisture layer causing leakage.

I thought most folks considering storing batteries in the fridge would
know to put them in something airtight to keep them from getting wet. I
would use zip-lock plastic bags with a teaspoon of rice in with the
batteries to soak up any moisture. Of course the air should be squeezed
out of the bag and when the batteries are removed from the fridge, allow
them to warm up in the bag so no moisture can condense on them from the
warm air. ^_^

TDD

Either great minds think alike, or we're both nuts - I just posted
speculating if that would work before I read this.

nate