Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron C Ron C is offline

Default Laminate Flooring question

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:00:17 -0400, Ron C wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:35:51 -0400, Ron C wrote:

Are you absolutely certain on your comment? I cut a few hundred boxes
of 5/8 thick engineered Mohawk T&G laminate flooring.
I believe you answered your question when you provided the link.

Being I had the privilege of attending Pergo certification many years
ago, when Pergo built their factory in Charlotte NC, they stressed this
exact condition. I know Mohawk followed suit on their laminates.

Pergo had all their flooring styles layed out in this long hall.
Between every style was a transition piece @ 40'.

I know times change with technology, but since both brands have it in
their install instructions, I don't believe it's by error.

I do not ever recall that a transition piece was needed or mentioned
in the install instructions.

This PDF does mention your contention that a transition is necessary.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/pdf/MHK%20Laminate%20Installation%20Rev010813262013.pd f
Got a link that says a transition every 40'? Any direction...

I'd like to see it. Thank you.

Ahh yes, my bad. It's an expansion joint every 40'. Normal people
cover these with a transition or T molding. Sorry I misled you by
thinking there must be the T molding.

I guess the OP could leave a gap without a proper decorative trim piece.
But, if they were wise, they would follow the manufacturers instructions.

Can you tell us what, and explain an expansion joint every 40' means
for laminate wood flooring. Never heard of such a thing.

Properly installed laminate allows for expansion and contraction.
I'm curious to know what exactly you are getting at.

I'm really at a loss at attempting to explain the manufacturers
installation instructions, since you even provided the link to Mohawk.
Look at #8 under " 10 focus points".

I'm not sure if you want me to explain why the manufacturer wants it
installed this way, or to explain about expansion & contraction over
large installs.