Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Officail: fear of radiation kills more people than radiation.

On 04/09/13 20:29, GB wrote:

I imagine one of the issues they have is that they have to discharge
experienced staff, as they have been subject to lifetime radiation
limits, if not beyond. Consequently, they have all sorts of new
people on-site who have no clue about what they are doing.

imagination doesn't beat facts. Only tow workers reached annual dosage
levels at the time of the spill.

You mean from this particular spill? Do you have figures for how many
of their experienced staff have had to stop work because of radiation
limits? Or are you saying it's just 2 since the original problems
started? If so, I must express my surprise.

As far as I know only two workers have been laid off because they had
reached teh 100mSV limit.

Since the actual accident they wear suits when in higher level radiation
zones. Why would they not? They have also used robots.

Once the situation was under reasonable control - and that was really
inside of a cuople of weeks - there was no reason to use humans to mess
with the more radioactive stuff.

All they have to do on site is remove fuel from what reactors are still
relatively undamaged, and repair the holding tanks for the spent fuel.

Then start treating all the water they had used to flood the reactors
down to cold shutdown

I think that is the water under question.

You seem to think the site is lethal It isnt. Mostly its safe. There
are few copntaminated places where plutonium and uranium flecs landed,
and there is a lot of moderately contaminated water, but water is an
effective shleld. That water had already been treated to remove most of
the contaminants, and it could and should have been dumped in the sea.
However rules said it had to be stored and treated, thereby adding
massively to the cost, and creating wonderful opportunities for more
headlines

The MSM is a total disgrace: no opportunity is missed to blow any minor
issue out of all proportion, but the milestones in bringing the reactors
and fuel ponds under control, and decontaminating it and treating the
water have all been missed.

Quite frankly, if you did have an idea about what you are doing, would
you work there?

Money?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.