Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Living without electricity

On 04/09/13 13:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:42:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...ower%20cut.png

dropped through the door yesterday.

Why? CUTTING TREES.

Trees have a habit of growing... We'ved had a few of those this year,
first time for tree cutting in the 14 odd years we've been here.
Unless admitting it's for tree cutting is a new thing rather than
"essential network maintenace".

As I said t they are not putting in any more 11KV overheads here.

They don't round here either but the existing overhead they do
maintain rather than underground. One section going over the fell
tops so from an "enviromental" and exposer POV would have been a
prime candidate to undergrpund has just had virtually all its poles,
stays(*), iron work, insulators etc replaced.

Haveing heard the fuss that English Nature made when the water board
moled a 6" main over the same fell top a few years back I'm not
surprised the DNO took the easy "maintenance" route rather than go
through planning, approvals, enviromental impact, wildlife assements,
etc to underground it. Fing stupid, 6 months after the water main had
been moled in you had to know where it was to notice it. Now you
can't tell. Similar fuss was made about 2 x 8" pipes feeding a small
(700 kW ish) hydro station from an old (1850's) fellside reservoir,
they where open trenched in but again you can't tell where they are
now.

yes. when I bult te house 90% of the garden got trashed. It was
bulldozed mud everywere. I said to my wife who was in tears 'it will be
weeds in 2 months, grass in 6', and it was.,

I think environmental assem,ents area great idea BUT the problem is its
just money for consultants. In a case like that you should say 'bugger
that: its one digger running a mile cutting a 9" wide trench, how much
of a disaster could that be?' and waive the environmental ********.

(*) Did I say this lilne was exposed? Every pole has two stays at 90
degrees to the line. Those with extra kit such as an air switch have
four stays.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.