Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Value of items

In this thread, I'm the OP, and I set a computer monitor
out to the curb. It was still there days later, but the
cord had been cut off. So, tell me why I'd call about
tire prices?

I knew a guy who lost a box of tools. Some one he
had met (note, I didn't say a friend of his) told his
wife he said it was OK, and she let him take the tools.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/3/2013 3:29 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

If the OP were to call a service station and ask what their tire
disposal fee is, he may find it is much cheaper than what his local
refuse hauler charges. The shop my sister manages charges $5/tire versus
the $25 fee typically charged by residential trash haulers in this area.

Amusingly enough, she's been having a problem with thieves stealing used
tires from her business. A good many used tires still have plenty of
life in them, and in tough economic times there's a lot of people
willing to buy used tires cheap. She's got an arrangement with a company
that actually pays her $3/tire, and comes by weekly to pick them up. So
they're a moneymaker for her on both sides of the deal. But she's caught
employees from the service station down the street stealing them from
her trash compound. The service station sells used tires direct to the
public, and when they run low they raid their competition's stockpiles.
The thieves had the chutzpah to assure her that they had her shop
manager's permission to take the tires, because they had no idea that
that particular shop was managed by her.

It's the same issue with used batteries and discarded metal parts, of
course. They're worth even more to the recyclers, so she has to keep
that stuff locked up in the shop, since the metal pirates will make off
with all of it otherwise.