Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheet vinyl vs. tile ??

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 05:42:32 -0600, "Hot-Text"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:34:44 -0400, wrote:
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:16:04 -0400, micky
wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 00:02:19 -0600, "Hot-Text"
wrote:
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Small basement bathroom (5' x 8') on concrete slab, new construction.
Sheet vinyl = no seams, harder to install (for me), more expensive
(have
to buy the full 12 foot width.
Tile = easy install, but seams. After many years will these edges
start
to curl up, etc.
Which is best
Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary
Ceramic Tile is $3.50
and the only way to go on a concrete slab in a basement

You way overstate the situation. I don't have a cement slab, but I
have a cement floor in the basement. Same thing as a slab from the
pov of floor covering, right?

He only "overstates" it because there is no need to spend $3.50/sf. It
can be done for less (or more). A "cement" (it's not "cement", rather
"concrete") floor *is* a concrete slab.

if it was my basement bathroom
I would go with natural stone
it would look good on that
cold slab of concrete

That's personal taste thing. I like natural stone, too, but have never
used it on a floor. The big thing is that it should have a
substantial texture.

Some would say that a slab has to rest near the surface and have the
entire house above it. But I gave Hot-Text the chance to agree that
from the pov of floor covering, that distinction doesn't matter. I'm
glad you don't think it matters either.

But it matter
A slab can be 1'x 1' x 1"
it call a 1' slab
be it above the house or
below the house it will always be
a 1' concrete slab
true

But where the surface of
the concrete slab is always matter

It's on dirt. ;-)

Would you put vinyl Sheet or vinyl Tile
on a surface of the concrete slab
above the house
You know we call it
the Roof

A concrete slab roof? In a *house*. Roofing material should have
significant weight, but that's ridiculous! ;-)

Now a basement bathroom
is below the house
not in the house

It is *in* the living space of the house. A crawl space is "under"
the house.

Now I know you not doing
to roof the basement floor

is it matter and always will

Huh?

remainder is too hard to follow - snipped