Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Living without electricity

In article , charles
scribeth thus
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 03/09/13 15:16, charles wrote:
In article , John Williamson
wrote:
happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:41:31 +0100, News
wrote:

How would you generate electricity, if you lived there, full time?
Or would you not bother?
if it has a lot of land, you could easily accomodate a solar pannel
farm. there are ones that track the sun for best performance along
with ones for the roof if you wanted. i found a diy solar panel
building kit a while back, it didn't seem very complcated to build
and set up.

It's on the dark side of a north facing hill, unfortunately.
there is also the option of a wind turbine, i saw a rather impressive
one on some tv show a while back that produced enough electricity for
use even on a light breazy day.

as long as you have a decent battery system, you'll never need worry
about electricity.

i'd be very tempted by the place to be quite honest.
If I were (a) a lot richer and (b) not needing to work for a living,
so would I. Then again, (a) could take care of the electricity supply
and broadband problems, as I could afford to run a cable from the
village.
It's the best part of 2 miles! I think the voltage drop would be
excessive. You have to get the electricity supply so invoved. Then you
have to be a very big lot richer beforehand.

run it at 11KV and have yer own transformer.

would you be allowed to on land that you don't own?

Generally yes, they the power distribution company pay wayleave's for
the rights to have their cables cross someone else's land...

--
Tony Sayer