Mark & Juanita

Default DIY dovetail jigs?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:53:56 GMT, Han wrote:

(Alan W) wrote in
. com:

"RixWorx" wrote in message
This might work. Allows for different widts/# of dovetails

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re..._template_mast
er.htm

The stotts jig is the jig which comes with a shrinkwrap license. You
don't own it, you cannot loan it, you cannot let your buddy use a
template you make from it.

Therefore I won't be a buyer/licensee

There is nothing to that effect on the Rockler website. Therefore, if I
were to buy that stuff, I am not subscribing to to any restrictions. I buy
it, I own it, and that's that.

With shrinkwrap licenses, it doesn't have to be on the Rockler website.
By your act of breaking the seal on the product, you are agreeing to all
terms and conditions in the license accompanying the package, so by opening
the package without reading the license, for all you know you may be
agreeing to become Bill Gate's towel boy in his new mansion (obscure
Dilbert reference) in exchange for getting to use the product. Your
agreement is not with Rockler, but with the weasels selling the jig. IMHO,
(IANAL) such an agreement on a tool would not be very likely to withstand a
court challenge, but then who wants to go through the hassle, you're better
off finding another product that does not have such an egregious and
arrogant opinion of itself. Ed Foster's gripe line in Infoworld has had
quite a bit of fun with this extreme example of "sneakwrap" licensing.