Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Annular cutters, use for?

On 8/31/2013 7:50 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Scored 10 annular cutters at a garage sale for $5.00. They all look brand new. They range from 7/16" diameter to 1 inch. Cutting depth is 2 inches.

What is the purpose of these cutters. If I put one in my milling machine and push it through, say, 1/2" plate, the end result will be the same had I used a solid milling cutter. Why would I ever want an annular groove in a piece of metal other than for an "O" ring?

Please enlighten me. I realize that mag drills use these, but don't know why.

Ivan Vegvary

This is a horrible, *horrible* example video... But it shows how you
can use annular cutters with plug ejection on an automated process.

We have done up to 2" diameter holes now (maybe larger? I'm not sure)
with a 2 HP machine and 1000 lbs. or less of thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dxNeKD-f50

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,