Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Parts You Didn't Know Had a Name

On 9/3/2013 1:37 AM, nestork wrote:
'Oren[_2_ Wrote:
;3116011']
Picture No. 17 was of interest to me.

That TOH magazine article was written by someone who doesn't work in the
drywall or plastering business, and is getting his words out of a
dictionary that no drywall or plastering contractors use.

What TOH calls a "scuncheon", almost everyone else in the world calls a
"return".

Whenever a wall is thicker than the door frame or window frame that's
installed in it, you need to finish the exposed interior of the wall in
an aesthetically acceptable way, and that's the job of the "return".
You can have interior or exterior returns depending on how the window or
door is installed.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a return being called a
"scuncheon". If you google "scuncheon" you do indeed get a definition
that matches a window return. But, teaching people that it's called a
"scuncheon" when everyone in the business calls it a "return", is not
helpful in my view. Having homeowners using different terminology than
the contractors they're trying to deal with makes a difficult situation
even harder for all concerned.

'Window Returns - Drywall - Contractor Talk'
(http://www.contractortalk.com/f49/window-returns-42322/)

'New wood window returns and casing' (http://tinyurl.com/lcnlo8b)

'Window returns with Trim-Tex Super L-bead - Drywall Finishing - Drywall
Talk' (http://tinyurl.com/kcnb7fx)

I didn't look at any of the other pictures because I know that freelance
writers will offer articles to DIY magazines to publish. The freelance
writer gets paid for his article, but it doesn't mean he knows what he's
talking about or that everything in the article is correct. If the
freelance writer that wrote that article for TOH Online had spent any
time in the drywall or plastering business, he'd call it a return just
like everyone else does.

I don't do much with drywall except, cut holes in it, patch it and yell
at the drywall contractor for tearing up my wires. I just call those odd
architectural details, "thingamajigs". ^_^

TDD