Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting notches

On 02/09/2013 22:13, harryagain wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 02/09/2013 06:16, harryagain wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
I have a reasonable number of notches to be cut into 100 x 47 timbers

Want to cut cross slots 30mm deep so timbers will slot over some 200 x
47
beams, good enough for glue joints.

Want to do the job neatly, and I have 28 of them to do.

I notice that whenever they need to do this sort of thing on any of the
US
shows (New Yankee Workshop for example) the use a Dado blade in a bench
saw.
I'm pretty sure you can't fit a Dado blade to most domestic saw benches
(I
have a JCB model) only the large commercial machines.

What is the neatest & consistent way of doing these ........ I know I
could mark out, use saw table to make shoulder cuts and chisel out the
rest ... but this will be slow and probably not end up as neat as I
want.

I do have a Router table with a Trend T7 ... but not sure if there is an
easy way to use that. Certainly don't have a 47mm wide bit, so it would
require moving wood and bit several times - possibly end up inaccurate.

Any tips & hints ?

This is a poor method of jointing and not to be be recommended for
strucural
work as it significantly weakens the whole job.

Bollox. Utter bollox

All traditional woodworking joints significantly weaken the wood due to the
amount of timber that has to be cut away.
Mortice/bridle/halving joints are the very worst for this. Dovetails are
only slightly better.

Bollox again. If the joints are glued as the OP stated, the joints will
be stronger than the timber.

Gang/plate nails, hangers, timber connectors are a minimum of 50% stronger
(in some cases 1000% stronger) and are faster to use.
In most cases the joint is far stronger than the timber.

Bollox. They are used because they are quick & require no great skill.

Loads are better distributed in the timber hence the joints are much less
likey to fail.
There are other advantages too, eg joists need no longer penetrate the inner
leaf making the house draught proof and protecting the timber from damp.
In practice much less timber is needed hence the job is cheaper as well as
quicker.
They also lend themselves to machine shop assembly of factory made
components (eg trusses)
They just look like **** but where they are hidden, it matters not.

Anybody that doen't know this needs to get some education/training.

Education & training? Get some.