Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Adverse Possession

On Monday, September 2, 2013 1:50:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:01:15 PM UTC-4, Wes Groleau wrote:

On 09-01-2013 16:07, wrote:

I'd say you're not open, that you are in fact a sneak, if

you knowingly allow someone else to pay property taxes on a

piece of land you own. Some states agree, because it part

of their AP laws. In order to claim adverse possession,

someone else, ie the rightful owner, can't be paying the

property taxes. The person making the AP claim has to be

paying them. Sounds very reasonable to me.

If I am listed as the owner, then I am getting the tax bill.

How would someone else be paying it?

If he's getting the tax bill, then it's already his in the

official records. If that's wrong, gonna be a heck of a struggle fixing it.

Who exactly are you referring to? The fact that the person here trying

to claim adverse possession is *not* getting a tax bill and *not* paying the taxes is precisely the point. I'll say it one more time. In some states,

part of the AP law specifically includes that to make such a claim, the

person must be paying the property taxes on the property he seeks

via AP, just as if he owned the property.

And I'll say it again for at least the third time: Provide a cite for that.

snip

That seems entirely reasonable to me. If you own your own lot, you

pay taxes on it. To claim that you own part of the neighbor next door's

lot when the neighbor has been paying taxes on it, not you, seems unreasonable

to me. And apparently to some states too. If you think you own it,

then why aren't you paying taxes on it?

Let's say there is a vacant house on a lot. The owner walks away

from it. A squatter occupies the house and starts paying the property taxes.

So tell us just how that squatter managed to start paying the taxes. He has to prove he owns the property before the tax people start sending him the bill.

After the required number of years, he can claim it via AP. Not

saying all states work that way, but some do. And I'd be curious to

see the case law regarding the issue of tax payments and how courts

have treated it in other states.

And I'd like to see your cite for at least one state that has that restriction.

Also, some states have de minimus exclusions, specifically covering

fences placed a few feet off the correct boundary, and similar

common occurances, where you can't claim AP.

True, most states IIANM require a fence to be erected a few inches on one's side of the line.

Harry K