Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting notches

On 02/09/2013 10:11, Huge wrote:
On 2013-09-02, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/09/2013 23:08, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a reasonable number of notches to be cut into 100 x 47 timbers

Want to cut cross slots 30mm deep so timbers will slot over some 200 x
47 beams, good enough for glue joints.

Want to do the job neatly, and I have 28 of them to do.

I notice that whenever they need to do this sort of thing on any of the
US shows (New Yankee Workshop for example) the use a Dado blade in a
bench saw.
I'm pretty sure you can't fit a Dado blade to most domestic saw benches
(I have a JCB model) only the large commercial machines.

Dado blades aren't allowed in the UK because of Effin Softy.

You're kidding, right? A google search yields dozens of UK sources.

You may be able to buy dado sets, but you would find it hard to buy a
table saw that they will fit.

"the blade must come to a standstill within 10 seconds of the machine
being stopped".

Is the problem, the extra weight of a dado set causes it to over run.