Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Paint - still with the 'brush strokes' !!

RobertMacy writes:

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 12:57:38 -0700,
wrote:

...snip...

OK, I think everyone here probably agrees that there is a
difference in texture between the edging done with a brush
and the rest of the wall with a roller. It's just that you
have to look real close and be looking for it to notice it.
That's different than what I thought the original issue was,
which was either brush marks being unacceptable and a roller
leaving marks. I also would think it would be more noticeable
with deep colors, higher sheen, etc.

How about edging with one of the pads? I usually use a brush,
but I have tried them. Not sure I looked that closely, but
it would seem the pads might leave a finish more like a roller.
But maybe that's no good, because I think you ruled out a
roller because you say it leaves marks that are unacceptable
too. You may have such high standards for surface perfection
that only perfect surface prep followed by spray painting will
meet them. That's the only thing I can think of for getting
a surface without any texture, marks, etc due to the application,
ie what you'd get with a roller or brush. I think in the
painting world though, painters frequently back-roll after
spraying. They use one guy spraying to get the paint on
quick, another to roll. I'm guessing that the rolling helps
hide the normal imperfections in the drywall that you'd
otherwise see.

I've done the drywall so they have no imperfections, at least, down to
not very noticeable.

spray paint? indoors? hmmm now all I need is an 'ink-jet' type paint
sprayer that creates uniform size droplets so there is very little, if
any, fogging. Anybody make one? Maybe ultrasonic? piezo squirter?
high voltage spewing? pressure nozzles just don't cut it, becuase the
variation in droplet size is quite a wide statistical distribution,
which causes fogging. And centrifigal(sp?) throwing splatters is
exactly that, looks like a 'Pollock' painting.

Would there be a market for a truly 'fogless' paint sprayer?

Ink jet paint sprayer?

Interesting idea. If you could control the movement of the printer
over the wall, you could do some really interesting murals.

--
Dan Espen